Google Maps was originally launched in 2005 and has grown to dominate the market. Many of us today would be lost without it and don’t even know the full extent of its uses. The app provides a number of these features and information that anyone can take advantage of. If you are looking to enhance your experience with Google Maps, you might find some of the following information interesting.
- Modify map type and details – One of the best features of Google Maps is the circular button at the top right of the screen. Clicking on this button brings up different map types and other helpful traveling details. One of these options is to view the terrain as a satellite image instead of the familiar default graphics used by Google. You can further enhance the mode by featuring the transit type you are using such as a bicycle or bus.
- Street View for a virtual tour – Using the street view on a mobile device is different than on a desktop computer. Simply tap on a place marker and look around by dragging your finger across the screen or tapping the compass. Move around by swiping right or left and up or down. You can even zoom in by pinching the area you want to enhance. For landscape mode, just tilt your device sideways to flip the view.
- Share your location and find your car – Here is a neat trick to use. Just enter the app and click on the blue dot that shows the current location. This will bring up a menu with three options with the last one being to “save your parking”. The first two options allow you to share your location with others simply by tapping on them. To find your car, simply enter the app and navigate back to it following the instructions.
- Add multiple destinations to your trip – It’s easy to add an extra stop to your trips using Google Maps. After you click on “Directions” to a place and start your journey, click on the 3-dot menu at the top right corner of the screen. Then, select “add stop” to follow the step in adding another destination.
- Waiting times for restaurants – Another great feature of Google Maps is the ability to get information about average waiting times in a given day. To see the information, just scroll down the listing to the “Popular Times” chart and choose the time and day you are interested in to make your plans accordingly.
- Favorite Places List – Those people who love to organize can take advantage of another feature. Google allows users to store their favorite locations simply by tapping on the location and touching the “Save” button. Follow the prompts form there to save it and add additional locations.
So, Google has got you covered in more ways than one when it comes to their map application. And they are always coming up with new and inventive ideas.